William C. Dudley, President and CEO of the Fed talks rates
The SEC announced charges against ITT Educational Services Inc.
The NY Fed: Quarterly Report on Household Debt and Credit
The Chairman of the FDIC on SIFI progress
The next FSOC meeting - May 19
- William C. Dudley, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Fed, gave a speech entitled The Global Implications of Diverging Monetary Policy Settings in Advanced Economies at the Sixth High Level Conference on the International Monetary System: Monetary Policy Challenges in a Changing World in Zurich, Switzerland. Dudley used the speech to discuss the global implications of U.S. monetary policy normalization, especially for emerging market economies (EMEs). Dudley adds this remark about rates to the introduction:
To be as direct as possible: I don’t know when this will occur. The timing of lift-off will depend on how the economic outlook evolves. Since the economic outlook is uncertain, this means the timing of liftoff must also be uncertain. At the same time, though, I can be clear about what conditions are needed for normalization to begin. If the improvement in the U.S. labor market continues and the FOMC is “reasonably confident” that inflation will move back to our 2 percent objective over the medium-term, then it would be appropriate to begin to normalize interest rates.
Dudley ends the speech by taking credit for not moving fast enough on rates in 2008, and says, "The largest problems that countries create for others often emanate from getting policy wrong domestically. Recession or instability at home is often quickly exported abroad." Here here.
- The SEC announced charges against ITT Educational Services Inc., its chief executive officer Kevin Modany, and its chief financial officer Daniel Fitzpatrick. The SEC alleges that the company and two executives fraudulently concealed the true nature of the company's poor performance from investors. ITT formed two student loan programs to help provide loans for ITT’s students following the collapse of the private student loan market. The company provided a guarantee to investors to purchase the student loan pools.
Our complaint alleges that ITT’s senior-most executives made numerous material misstatements and omissions in its disclosures to cover up the subpar performance of student loans programs that ITT created and guaranteed. Modany and Fitzpatrick should have been responsible stewards for investors but instead, according to our complaint, they engineered a campaign of deception and half-truths that left ITT’s auditors and investors in the dark concerning the company’s mushrooming obligations. - Andrew J. Ceresney, Director of the SEC’s Division of Enforcement.
ITT also allegedly made payments on borrower accounts to "temporarily" keep loans from defaulting which would have triggered the beginning of the company's guarantee payments. I've long said the writing is on the wall for the "for-profit" school sector.
- The New York Fed released the Quarterly Report on Household Debt and Credit for the first quarter of 2015. "As of the end of March, total household indebtedness was $11.85 trillion, a $24 billion, or 0.2 percent, increase during the first quarter of this year." One thing is also certain, the issue is student loans. "Non-housing debt balances increased by 0.7 percent from the end of last year, largely due to increases in student loans ($32 billion) and auto loans ($13 billion)."
- Martin J. Gruenberg, Chairman of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation gave a speech to the Peterson Institute for International Economics entitled "A Progress Report on the Resolution of Systemically Important Financial Institutions". To see the full speech click below:
- Finally, on
Tuesday, May 19, Secretary Lew will preside over the infamous Financial Stability Oversight Council (FSOC) at the Treasury
Department. The agenda includes:
- An " update from member agencies regarding resolution planning for bank holding companies and a discussion of international market developments."
- A discussion of the FSOC 2015 annual report.
- A discussion of charters for committees.This meeting can be viewed via webcast here.
If you like what you're reading, please join my mailing list to receive blog posts and updates as they occur. If you're an investor with all of your assets tied up in the stock market and cash, you might want to consider a few diversification strategies. Gold is the oldest asset in the world and it's inflation proof. Bitcoin is the gold standard for the cryptocurrency world, which is the fastest growing asset class in the world. Diversifying your portfolio into one or both of these assets can help to insure your portfolio against a stock market crash or inflation. Most importantly, it can help to safeguard the gains you've made over the last 10 years.
Please note that there are other companies that sell gold and Bitcoin on the market, and you should always do your research when making decisions about your portfolio. Just like your personal health, if you're planning on having major surgery, you need to get a second, and sometimes a third, opinion. You want to make sure your surgeon is good and has performed the procedure many, many times. In the same way, you need to trust your broker and you need to make sure they are reputable. This is the process I used when looking for a broker to recommend.
Full disclosure: RegalAssets compensates me for everyone I send their way, but I would receive compensation from any company I chose to recommend. The only broker I'm recommending is Regal, primarily due to its innovative product offering in my favorite commodities - gold, precious metals and cryptocurrency like Bitcoin. They also have a distinguished track record for success (see below).
Next Steps: Use Regal as one of your options and compare against them. Your other brokers should be able to offer the same level of service and the same low rates. The kit is free and it will provide you with a basis for comparison. Don't wait, get started today. Fill out the form below to get your free investment kit.
If you're interested in learning more about gold investments, click here to receive a free gold investment kit from Regal Assets.
If you're interested in learning more about Bitcoin investments, click here to receive a free Bitcoin investment kit from Regal Wallet.